There are thousands of ways to be kind, and we all know being kind is important. But do we know why?
Here are a few reasons from the Bible:
- When we are kind to other believers, people want what we have (“A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” John 13:34-35, and “And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.” Acts 2:46-47).
- Being kind shows God’s heart to the world, drawing people to repentance and grace (“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” Matthew 5:16).
- Being kind is good for you, in Bible terms; it’s called laying up treasure in heaven (“But lay up for yourselves treasuresin heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:” Matthew 6:20).
As Christmas is getting closer, it’s especially important to keep this in the forefront of our mind and show God’s kindness to the world through the Gift of his Son. Here are a few ways to be kind in every day life:
- Curb your tongue, if it doesn’t need said, don’t say it.
- Smile. We may never know how much it meant to someone.
- If you know someone, acknowledge them. This isn’t always possible, but at least smile. Sometimes you can just ask how they are doing, and if you remember their name, use it. I had this happen recently, I asked a little girl how she was doing, and I used her name in my question. She looked up at me and said, “you know my name.” It adds something to a simple question that shows you care.
- Hold the door open, especially for elderly folks. They were taught to respect their elders when they were young, it must be sad for them to see an almost total lack of respect in today’s youth. This is really important for young men to do. Little old ladies probably miss men doing this, and in today’s feminist society, it must be nice to meet a young man with a healthy respect for women.
- Be happy about your chores. There is something particularly aggravating about seeing someone in a huff, so try to be happy about a chore, even when you don’t like it.
- Serve others. If you can do it, do it. Don’t wait for someone else, take the initiative and serve others.
- And, above all: Love God. If you love Him, you’ll do all the other stuff on accident.
Well, there you have it!